Thursday, December 05, 2013Tweet
[IWS] ADB: THE ASEAN ECONOMIC COMMUNITY: A WORK IN PROGRESS [5 December 2013]
IWS Documented News Service
Institute for Workplace Studies----------------- Professor Samuel B. Bacharach
School of Industrial & Labor Relations-------- Director, Institute for Workplace Studies
16 East 34th Street, 4th floor---------------------- Stuart Basefsky
New York, NY 10016 -------------------------------Director, IWS News Bureau
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
THE ASEAN ECONOMIC COMMUNITY: A WORK IN PROGRESS [5 December 2013]
[full-text, 533 pages]
This book analyzes the barriers and impediments to realizing the ASEAN Economic Community by 2015. Specifically, it explores
• whether the ASEAN Economic Community is achievable by 2015,
• the obstacles along the way in achieving it, and
• the measures needed for its eventual achievement.
Although the self-imposed deadline for the realization of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) is 2015, it should not be viewed as a hard target. One should not expect 2015 to see ASEAN suddenly transformed, its nature and processes abruptly changed, its members’ interests substantially altered. Rather, 2015 should be viewed more as a milestone year — a measure of a work in progress — rather than as a hard target year.
Nevertheless, the commitments to the various dimensions of an AEC do reflect the value placed by the ASEAN member countries on regional economic integration, and give them something to both invoke and aspire for.
Browse more books from the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies publishing website at https://bookshop.iseas.edu.sg/
• Overview - Rodolfo C. Severino and Jayant Menon
• Non-Tariff Barriers: A Challenge to Achieving the ASEAN Economic Community - Myrna S. Austria
• ASEAN Trade in Services - Deunden Nikomborirak and Supunnavadee Jitdumrong
• The ASEAN Economic Community: The Investment Climate - Manu Bhaskaran
• Competition and Intellectual Property Laws in the ASEAN 'Single Market' - Ashish Lall and R. Ian McEwin
• Subregional Zones and ASEAN Economic Community - Richard Pomfret and Sanchita Basu Das
• ASEAN FTAs: State of Play and Outlook for ASEAN's Regional and Global Integration - Razeen Sally
• The ASEAN Dispute Settlement System - Locknie Hsu
• Enhancing the Institutional Framework for AEC Implementation: Designing Institutions that are Effective and Politically Feasible - Helen E.S. Nesadurai
• ASEAN Economic Community Business Survey - Albert G. Hu
This information is provided to subscribers, friends, faculty, students and alumni of the School of Industrial & Labor Relations (ILR). It is a service of the Institute for Workplace Studies (IWS) in New York City. Stuart Basefsky is responsible for the selection of the contents which is intended to keep researchers, companies, workers, and governments aware of the latest information related to ILR disciplines as it becomes available for the purposes of research, understanding and debate. The content does not reflect the opinions or positions of Cornell University, the School of Industrial & Labor Relations, or that of Mr. Basefsky and should not be construed as such. The service is unique in that it provides the original source documentation, via links, behind the news and research of the day. Use of the information provided is unrestricted. However, it is requested that users acknowledge that the information was found via the IWS Documented News Service.
Links to this post: